Prentiss School was built circa the 1850’s (some say the 1890’s) by the school trustees of Madison Township on an acre of land purchased from the Alspaugh family. The school was originally located west of Canal Winchester on Gender Road, south of Waterloo Street and just south of where the McDonald’s now stands.
The Prentiss School building was used by the children who lived in the rural area outside of town. The school housed grades 1 – 8, all in one classroom, with one teacher. The enrollment was usually 15 – 16 students. Prentiss School was consolidated with the Canal Winchester School in 1922 and the former Prentiss schoolchildren attended the school in town. There is evidence that the consolidation was not unanimously supported.
A quote from Marjorie Alspach, who once taught in a one-room school, states that originally: “Inside the one room were a teacher’s desk; a raised floor used as a stage on particular occasions; recitation benches and a number of pupil’s desks of various sizes. There was a pot-bellied stove and kerosene lamps with reflectors hung on the wall. At the back of the room were coat hooks and a cupboard for books and lunch boxes. There was a blackboard across the front of the room.”
As was common in those times, the deed called for ownership to revert to the original farm if the building was no longer used for school purposes. After the school closed, the building was used as both a residence and commercial building – a warehouse for coffins at one time. Over the years, interior walls were added to the building and windows and a door replaced the chalkboard that was across the entire front of the classroom.
When the farm on which the building stood was sold in the 1970’s, the old one-room school building was unwanted by the new owners. The Historical Society was offered the building on the condition that they move it. Funds, including a federal grant, were raised and the 230-ton building was moved by a 10-man crew to its present location in 1980. The cost of the move, including construction of the basement, was approximately $45,000.
The school building has been restored as much as possible. Some changes have been necessary for the Historical Society’s use of the building – the stairway and basement, for example. The kerosene lamps have been replaced with electric reproductions and the pot-bellied stove is for atmosphere rather than heat. In 1995, the old one-room school’s restoration was complemented by the replacement of the missing cupola and school bell.
O. P. Chaney Elevator
The Chaney grain enterprise traces its origins to 1851 when Judge John Chaney and his son Oliver built the Empire Mill west of Canal Winchester on the canal bank. The grain businesses in the early 19th century were located along the canal bank for ease of transportation. The Empire Mill was just west of what is now Roger Hanners Recreation Fields on the north side of Groveport Road.
After the Civil War, O. P. Chaney purchased a warehouse along the canal in downtown Canal Winchester, on the south side of what is now Waterloo Street between High and Trine Streets. On June 2, 1878, a “catastrophic” fire started in a cupola of the O. P. Chaney Elevator, resulting in the destruction of the building. After the fire, Mr. Chaney built his new elevator on the south side of the railroad tracks between High and Elm Streets – he realized that the canal era was waning. This new elevator burned on September 29, 1880, and, as historian George Bareis records, “Mr. Chaney at once began the erection of the present building on the same foundation.”
The elevator has a sandstone foundation and is of braced frame construction. It stands four stories (50 feet) tall with board and batten vertical siding. The grain elevator functioned as a warehouse for storing grain after harvest until it was sent to market on railroad cars. Grain was unloaded from the farm wagons at the grain dump on the south side of the building. A canvas belt with buckets would raise the grain to the storage units on the second and third floors of the building. There it was stored until it was ready to be shipped, when it would be lowered to the waiting railroad cars. Hence the name elevator, since the grain was raised and lowered in the storage and shipping process.
The Chaney Elevator has passed through a number of owners during the last century. After O. P. Chaney’s death in 1906, his sons continued the business. Ownership passed to D. F. Taylor c. 1915, Huston and Swope c. 1922, and Howard Hockman in 1935. Mr. Hockman used it only for storage as part of the Winchester Milling Company. The Village of Canal Winchester assumed ownership in 1980 and the Historical Society in 1996. The O. P. Chaney Elevator was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 28, 1988.
After the last elevator business in Canal Winchester closed in 1978, there was much discussion as to whether the building was worth saving. Because it is one of the few elevators still standing in an area that was once rich with them, the Historical Society is working to preserve it as a farm and grain museum. Phase I of the renovation, which includes a meeting room, was completed in the summer of 2001 with a Labor Day Dedication Service.
“Queen of the Line” Depot
In 1834 the first interest in getting the railroad to Ohio was expressed by then U. S. Representative Judge John Chaney of Fairfield County. In 1837 the first locomotive was used in Ohio. From 1852 to 1867 there was interest in and plans made for procuring a railroad line through Canal Winchester. Finally, on January 13, 1869, the first train passed through the Village of Canal Winchester on the Columbus, Hocking Valley and Toledo Railroad line.
The first railroad depot in Canal Winchester was built that same year. It was totally destroyed by fire on October 11, 1894, when a spark from a locomotive landed on the roof. The present depot, begun immediately after the fire to replace the original, was first occupied on December 3, 1894. The depot was built at a time when the community and the railroad were thriving, which is probably the main reason for such an elaborate and distinctive building.
The Canal Winchester depot is more Victorian in style than its predecessor or other depots of the 19th century. The eaves are supported by ornamental “stick-style” brackets, and the building has an Eastlake influence. The depot became known as the “Queen of the Line” because it was – and still is – a beautiful and unique building. The depot has three “rooms” or sections: a waiting room for passengers, the ticket and telegraph office, and the baggage and freight room. The waiting room is octagonal in shape and has stained glass windows in the dome. The octagonal waiting room is considered to be one-of-a-kind along the Hocking Valley Line.
Railroad passenger service was discontinued in Canal Winchester on December 31, 1949. The depot in later years was used as a real estate office, although it was still owned by the railroad. In 1989 the Canal Winchester Area Historical Society was able to purchase the depot from the CSX Railroad.
Restoration work began immediately and was completed in 1992. With the goal of restoration to the original design, even the exterior paint in three shades of olive green with Chinese red trim has been accurately reproduced. The rededication ceremony was held on September 1, 1992. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as an individual listing on January 28, 1988.
Alfred Cannon Monument
Alfred Cannon was born in Canal Winchester, Ohio, in 1844. He enlisted in the Union Army, 95th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company D, on August 18, 1862. While fighting in Richmond, Kentucky, on August 30, 1862, he was taken prisoner and then paroled in October of the same year. He returned to his unit and fought in several battles in Mississippi in 1863 and 1864.
At the battle of Brices’ Cross Roads, Mississippi, on June 10, 1864, he was taken prisoner and marched to the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia. During an exchange of prisoners, he drew a lucky number to be released to go home. He turned to his friend who had a wife and children and handed him the ticket, saying, “Go to your family.” As the Union troops were overtaking Georgia, Pvt. Cannon and other prisoners were loaded onto train cars and sent to the Confederate prison at Florence, South Carolina. It was there that Pvt. Cannon died on January 21, 1865, of typhoid fever, and was buried.
After the war, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Posts were formed as fraternal organizations for those who served in the Civil War. The Canal Winchester GAR Post was organized on October 3, 1882, and named the Alfred Cannon Post. His comrades remembered the young soldier’s self-sacrifice and adopted as their motto: Greater love than this has no man, that he lay down his life for his friend.
In the spring of 2000, a memorial to Pvt. Alfred Cannon was erected on the grounds of the Historical Society. The dedication service was held on Memorial Day, May 29, 2000, and included the participation of Civil War re-enactors – a cannon was even fired. The memorial built to honor Pvt. Cannon is technically a cenotaph – a monument for a deceased person who is buried elsewhere.
The Historical Society has acquired two cabooses. They have been restored to their original colors, with the original lettering.
The Chesapeake and Ohio (blue) caboose is of the style known as a wide vision or extended vision caboose. The Southern (red) caboose is a “bay window” caboose.
In the summer of 1999 track was laid – by hand – so that the cabooses could be placed on more prominent display.
High –Waterloo Historic District
The original business district and the early transportation routes of the village are the focal points of Canal Winchester’s Historic District “A” – the High-Waterloo Historic District. The path of the Ohio & Erie Canal came through the middle of the area, running roughly parallel to and south of Waterloo Street. Work on the canal began in the late 1820’s and the first canal boat floated through the village in 1831. The early businesses of Winchester located along the canal route. West Waterloo and South High Streets were part of the Columbus and Winchester Pike (later U. S. Route 33), one of the early roads in the area. The interurban (electric trolley) ran along the canal towpath in the early 20th century.
This area was literally the business center of the community, and was located on the main transportation route – whether canal, road or interurban – connecting Columbus and Lancaster, the county seats of Franklin and Fairfield Counties. In the early 20th century, U. S. Route 33 came through the center of the village. It was the main route from central to southeastern Ohio and beyond, and was ranked third in the state in traffic volume. The bypass was constructed in the 1960’s, taking traffic away from the downtown streets. Route 33 is still the busy, main route to southeastern Ohio.
The original business district dates to the canal era, and was part of the original quarter section granted to Henry Dove. High Street was one of the two streets in the original plat of Winchester filed by Reuben Dove and John Coleman in 1828. The plat filed by Reuben Dove in 1829 included part of East Waterloo Street. Unfortunately, most of the original buildings were destroyed by fires in the late 1800’s. When rebuilt, they were constructed of brick and are still standing. Through the years, these buildings have housed all of the businesses necessary for a small community including: banks, grocers, dry goods, farm implements, car dealerships, hardware, drug stores, etc.
The grain warehouses were a major part of the original business district. The grain business, the main industry in early Canal Winchester, was in existence by 1835. There were three warehouses along the canal in the downtown area – one on the east side of High Street on the north side of the canal, and two on the west side of High Street with one on the north and one on the south side of the canal. None of those buildings is still standing.
The High-Waterloo Historic District was one of the first two historic districts created by the Canal Winchester Village Council on May 20, 1985. It is a local historic district only, but several landmarks are individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Historic District “A” also includes the log house at 111 East Columbus Street, which was added to the district on October 16, 1989.
South High Street
SW Corner Waterloo and High Streets
The Lehman Business Block was built in 1884. The buildings that
were previously on this corner were sold and moved. The building
shows elements of Victorian Italianate design, and is one of the least
altered buildings in the business district. It once housed the Knights
of Pythias (on the 2nd floor) and the Peoples Bank. Past businesses
have included a meat market, restaurant and barber shop. It is now
the home of the Barber Museum and other businesses.
8 This building was built in 1887 as the Canal Winchester Bank. The
bank was originally located in the north part of the building. The
south part was occupied by a series of grocery businesses from c.
1900 – 1939. The building was altered in 1948.
10 The South Central Power Company office was built in the 1960’s.
At the rear of the building is the interurban depot whose construction
began in August of 1905. The depot has been altered, but originally
had 3 rooms: freight room, ticket office, and waiting room. The
interurban ran from 1904 – 1930 under the ownership of the Scioto
Valley Traction Company, which sold the excess electricity to the
public – bringing electricity to the Village. On March 12, 1932, Ohio
Midland Light and Power Company took possession and in turn
merged with South Central Power Company in 1962. The interurban
depot served as their office until this building was built.
20 The present office building was built c. 1960. Previously on this site
was a gas station, where there was an explosion in December 1956.
28-30 The back room of this building dates to 1828, before the canal
came through. The building has housed the Beck Company, Bartlit’s
clothing store, and other businesses. Multiple additions have been
made, including a 2nd story. The building is scheduled for demolition
in the summer of 2003. A town park will then occupy the lot.
36 This lot is the property of the Village of Canal Winchester, and was
the site of the old town hall, the jail, and the library. O. P. Gayman
bequeathed funds to the Village to build a facility that was to be used
by the Village Council, fire department and the public. With
additional funds from a bond issue, the municipal building was built
in 1953. The Madison Township Fire Department used the building
for many years. In 1997 the Village of Canal Winchester moved its
offices into the building.
44 This building was built c. 1857 by Dr. George Blake as a home.
Among the previous owners are several members of the Bailey
family. The building was previously used as a funeral home.
Faith United Methodist Church
Designed by J. C. Gault and completed in July of 1904, this was
originally the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Late Gothic Revival
façade is dominated by a round turret, two-story tower and massive
stained glass windows. The rear wing was added in 1920, and a
second large wing in 1958. This landmark was individually listed on
the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1982.
37 The Huntington National Bank building was built in 1964. Previously
on this site was a mid 19th century hotel. The Commercial Hotel was
built in 1852. It was a stopping point for people traveling on the Ohio
& Erie Canal, and a station for the stage coach line in the 1860’s. It
was later known as the Freeman Hotel and then Shade’s Early
American Inn. The hotel and other buildings, including the large
Victorian home of George Bareis, were razed to build the bank and
17 This building was built c. 1900 by Marion Corwin on the canal bed,
after the canal was abandoned and drained. Corwin’s Ice Cream
Parlor occupied the building in 1902, followed by Chaney’s
Restaurant and then, in 1939, Shade’s Restaurant. The rear
section was added c. 1950.
15 The Shaw and Son Jewelry store was built in 1985, and was
designed to blend with the downtown area.
11 Built c. 1910, this building has had a variety of commercial uses
including William Lane’s law office and Dr. Jepsen’s office. The
building was moved from the west side of the lot at 15 East
9 This building was built in 1875 by Josiah Kidwell Miller. It was part
of the building to the north for many years. The Smith Brothers
Barber Shop was located here in the early 1900’s. Robert Holley
sold radio and electric appliances in the building. Shaw’s Jewelry
was here before they built their new building.
3-5-7 Built c. 1880, Josiah Miller and Son’s grocery was located here
from 1897 – 1939. Holley’s Variety Store was located in this building
from 1939 – 1968, and it is now used for professional offices. The
building shows Italianate influences in style.
1 Built c. 1851, it was originally Mrs. Ponds Dry Goods. Christian
Gayman purchased the building c. 1857, and the Gaymans sold dry
goods here until 1928.
North High Street
7 This 1888 building may have been built in sections. Phil Weber’s
dry goods store was here from 1898 – 1939, and then a grocery.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall was on the 2nd floor.
11 The first building on this site burned in 1885 and Richard Caslow
rebuilt Caslow’s Drug and Dry Goods soon after the fire. The
building has since housed a dentist office, bank, etc.
17 The first building on this site was built c. 1868, and burned in 1883.
This 1884 building once housed the Rees Hardware Store. The
American Legion recreation hall was upstairs, at the back.
19-19½ This was the site of the Opera House Block, built in 1871 by
Phillip and John Game. Musical and dramatic programs,
graduations, etc. were held in the 2nd floor auditorium of the Opera
House. It was the cultural center of the village. Phillip and William
Game operated a grocery on the 1st floor. The Opera House burned
in 1922. The present building was built c. 1940 to be leased to the
25 Built c. 1850, this building housed the Miller Furniture Store in the
late 1800’s. William P. Miller was also a builder and an undertaker.
10 This distinctive building was built in 1924 as the Peoples Bank
Company, which was founded in 1904. It was designed by A. J.
VanGundy of Lancaster, Ohio, and is Neo-Classical Revival in
ornamentation. The addition was built in 1940. The Huntington
Bank purchased the Peoples Bank in 1962, and built a new bank.
This building was sold to the Village of Canal Winchester in 1964,
and it is now the Town Hall. This landmark was individually listed
on the National Register of Historic Places on August 15, 1989.
East Waterloo Street
3 This building was built c. 1905, probably by the Gayman Brothers.
The lot was part of Reuben Dove’s Addition of 1829.
13-13½-15-15½ A Sanborn map shows a building on this lot in 1895
that was torn down. These two 24 feet tall buildings were built
before 1915. A doctor’s office was once located on the 1st floor.
The building was Gayman property until 1980.
19 Built in 1902, this is the only 3 story building in the commercial
district. It was jointly owned by the Masonic Lodge and Eastern Star
and O. P. Gayman, owner of The Times. The Times office was on
the 1st floor, the telephone company occupied the front of the 2nd
floor while the lodge used the back, and the Lodge Hall was on the
3rd floor. This landmark was individually listed on the National
Register of Historic Places on August 15, 1989.
25 This building was built in 1945 by the Ohio Bell Telephone
Company, which housed equipment there. The Post Office leased
the building from 1973, when it moved from 19 North High, until the
move to the new building on North High Street in 1998.
29 This building was built c. 1950.
31 This building was built in 1965.
45 John Helpman and Henry Schaffer erected the first lumber mill on
this site in the spring of 1857. George Bareis purchased it in the fall
of 1883, and it burned on April 14, 1884. The present lumber yard
was built in the fall of the same year. The site consists of five
buildings, one of which was a blacksmith shop. The buildings were
at the edge of the canal which ran behind the buildings.
40 Built c. 1880, this building appears to have originally been built as a
residence. Dr. Jay C. Johnson, a medical doctor, had his office here
from after World War I to 1942. The building extended further to
the east at one time.
36 This home was built c. 1924 by Jess and Herbert Cannon. Their
father, C. B. Cannon, owned the lot as early as 1872.
32 This home was built c. 1900. Samuel H. Saylor ran a livery stable
on this site c. the early 20th century.
28 This building was built c. 1920.
20 This is the c. 1872, brick, A-frame home of Peter Weber, who ran a
shoe shop from the 1850’s – 1870’s. Later, it was the home of O. P.
Gayman, long time editor of The Times. This landmark was
individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places on
August 15, 1989.
16-16½ The home was built c. 1915. Past owners of this house have
included the Caslow family and J. K. Miller.
4 This building was built c. 1908 on the site of a one-story building
that was used as a grocery. Bolenbaugh Hardware was founded by
Robert and Albert Bolenbaugh in 1890, and is one of the oldest
businesses in the Village.
West Waterloo Street
18 The first filling station on the property was built in 1924 by Lyle King
on land leased from the Bergstresser family. In 1935, the lease was
sold to David Brown.
26 Grover Raver, a lawyer, had this house built c. 1922. The property
was part of the large corner lot at West Waterloo and North High
Streets that was once owned by the Bergstresser family.
30 This was part of the Bergstresser property on a 1902 map. It is
assumed William Langel erected the building c. 1930.
38 Russell Metzger built the west part of the building in 1923 and
operated a Chevrolet dealership. The east part of the building was
added c. 1930
54 This building was built in 1932.
71 This was originally a pre-1920 home. Alice Schrock had a tea room
here c. 1921, and it was a beer joint called the Brown Jug c. 1942.
69 This was the home built c. 1905 by railroad agent and telegrapher
Clark Tenny. His hobby was photography and he photographed
much of the town history.
63 This house was built in 1909 by William Reed of Reed and Beck
Tools. He was the John Deere implement dealer and the Sinclair
gas station operator.
57 This 1920 American Four-square was built by Elmer and Martha
Weaver. It was part of large parcel owned by Jacob Carty c. 1872.
51 This house was built in 1947.
47 This building was built in the late 1800’s. The property was in the
Painter family for over 100 years.
Substation This landmark was part of the electric distribution system of
the Scioto Valley Traction Company. The Scioto Valley Traction
Line (interurban) operated in the Canal Winchester – Groveport area
from 1904 – 1930. The building was then used for storage by the
Ohio Midland Light and Power and South Central Power
Companies. It is now privately owned.
33 This is an American Four-square built in 1907 by Henry Dibble. The
property was part of the M. C. Whitehurst Mill and Warehouse
complex and was purchased by Dibble in 1901.
29 This property was part of the Whitehurst Mill land in 1868. The
house was built by Henry Dibble in 1904. David Brown, who owned
the Sohio Station, purchased the house in 1939.
West Mound Street Historic District
West Mound Street is a quiet, old, residential area established in the last half of the 19th century. The historic district is part of an area that forms a barrier between the industrial area to the north along the railroad tracks and the commercial area to the south and east.
West Mound Street is part of the acreage that Henry Dove passed to his son Jacob in 1821, and Jacob sold to John Coleman in 1824. The land on the north side of the street was purchased by John Kramer from Coleman in 1826. The area on the north side of West Mound Street was part of two farms, and before about 1870 there were two farmhouses in the area.
Following construction of the railroad, the area north of Waterloo Street and south of the railroad was platted and annexed to the village. John Kramer and William Miller each laid out lots on Mound Street c. 1869 and 1870. The Kramer Addition included lots on the north side of Mound Street and Miller’s 1st Addition, the south side.
The small, brick, A-frame style houses on the south side of Mound Street were homes for families of German heritage c. 1870. These homes were originally built without porches and have seen numerous additions over the years. The historic district has many well-preserved late 19th century brick homes.
The Victorian church with Gothic architecture, located on Elm Street, was built in the early 1880’s by the Lutherans, and at one time conducted services in both English and German.
West Mound Street was named a local historic district – Historic District “C” – by the Canal Winchester Village Council on March 16, 1987. With some adjustments to the local historic district boundary, West Mound Street was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 11, 1988.
West Mound Street
10 This house was built in 1877 by the Evangelical United Brethren
Church (now Hope United Methodist Church), and was the second
house in Canal Winchester to serve as the church parsonage. It
was used as such until 1886. The first parsonage was located at
71 West Columbus Street.
16 This home was built c. 1904 by Dr. Lewis W. Beery. It is the second
house built on the lot and the first brick veneer house in the village.
Herman Shade, who managed the Canal Winchester Canning
Factory, purchased the house in 1911. His son Paul (Tuby) founded
Shade’s Restaurant. The first house on the lot was a farmhouse,
one of the two original farmhouses on the street, built by Uncle
Johnnie Kramer before 1872.
22 Built in 1886, this is the third house to serve as parsonage for the
Evangelical United Brethren Church. It served as the parsonage
during the years 1886 – 1956. The fourth and present parsonage is
located at 91 East Columbus Street.
30 Built c. 1880, this was lot #1 of Kramer’s 1st Addition. It is assumed
that H. W. Shaffer had the house built.
36 This home was built c. 1873 by grocer Josiah Miller. The stones in
front of the house are probably canal stones, but their original
location is unknown. This was later the home of railroad depot
agent William M. Codner.
44 This home was built c. 1873. It was a David Lutheran Church rental
property from 1903 – 1938. The Lutheran Church purchased the
property from Susanna Alspaugh and agreed to furnish her with
food, clothing, etc., and pay her funeral and burial expenses in
exchange for or in addition to the sum paid for the property.
48 This house was built in 1922, and was the last house constructed on
West Mound Street. It was built for Mary Bowen at a cost of $2,500.
This lot was formerly affiliated with the Rees farmhouse at 54 West
54 This house dates to c. 1835. It was called “The House on the Hill”
because the elevation is the highest on the street and one of the
highest in the central part of the village – it was once possible to see
the entire village from the attic. The house was built by John Kramer
and was once the Rees farmhouse. It is the oldest house on the
street, and one of the two original farmhouses. Two one-story
additions were made to the house in the 19th century, with the
second story added in 1940.
28 Peace Lutheran Church.
This was originally David Evangelical Lutheran Church, completed
in 1884. The cornerstone was laid on August 28, 1881, and the
dedication service was held November 19, 1882. The church is an
example of Victorian Gothic Ecclesiastical architecture and has a
side steeple plan. It was designed by C. H. Griese of Cleveland,
Ohio. The educational wing at the rear was built c. 1938 – 1939.
When David Lutheran Church relocated to Groveport Road in
1975, this building was purchased by Faith Center Baptist Church.
It was sold to the present congregation in May of 1985.
West Mound Street
53 This home was built c. 1890. The concrete block garage at the rear
of the building was used as a welding shop during the 1940’s.
47 This home was built c. 1873 on Lot #2 in Miller’s 1st Addition. The
original brick home had two rooms up and two down. The addition
at the west side dates to 1968.
41 This home was built c. 1872 – 1874. It was willed to the Methodist
Episcopal Church (now Faith United Methodist Church) by Catherine
Tallman in 1893. It was used as a rental property by the church until
it was sold in 1953. It is one of the least altered homes on West
35 This home was built c. 1875 by William Ringer. It has a slate roof.
29 This c. 1870 home was built by George Himrod and has a tin roof.
The porch was a later addition to the home.
23 This c. 1875 home was the residence of Dr. Jay C. Johnson c. 1920.
17 Built c. 1870, this home is a typical A-frame style with Gothic
Revival influence. It was probably built by Phillip Game.
East Columbus Street Historic District
East Columbus Street is one of the two streets included in the first plat of Winchester, Ohio, filed in 1828 by Reuben Dove and John Coleman. The area east of Trine Street was included in the 1829 plat filed by Reuben Dove. The area is important both architecturally and historically. East Columbus Street’s association with both the early settlement of the village and the many prominent residents who lived there sets it apart from the other residential areas. The buildings in the district date from circa 1830 to 1930. This was the area of the village where many of the wealthier residents lived, including the grain warehouse owners, the bankers, and other business owners. It has always been a popular residential area because of its closeness to the downtown area and the major transportation routes.
East Columbus Street was once part of the main highway that connected Columbus and Lancaster. East Columbus Street was a dirt road in the very early 1800’s, a brick toll road in 1865, and then became part of U.S. Route 33. The completion of construction on the Route 33 bypass in the 1960’s relocated traffic around, rather than through, Canal Winchester.
The Ohio & Erie Canal bed forms the northern border of the historic district and Little Walnut Creek runs behind these homes to the south. The creek formed a natural barrier that caused later village growth to be to the north and west, allowing the area to remain relatively unaltered in appearance.
East Columbus Street was named a local historic district – Historic District “D” – by the Canal Winchester Village Council on March 16, 1987. The East Columbus Street Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 5, 1988.
7 This c. 1890 home has previously served as a tavern, a store, a
poolroom, and a barber shop. This is the second building on the lot.
15 This is the site of the first log cabin in Canal Winchester, built by
Henry Dove c. 1811. A log house in turn replaced his log cabin.
The present 1865 brick home was built by a granddaughter of
Henry Dove, Deliah Dove Whitehurst. Although presently a single
family home, this was the Thomen Funeral parlor c. 1930, and it
was then rented as a double for many years.
17 This home was built by a lawyer, William Lane, c. 1916. His office
was located over the drive.
23 This was the site of the first frame building in Canal Winchester – a
tavern which burned in the 1830’s. O. P. Chaney acquired this c.
1853 home in 1866 and either rebuilt or extensively remodeled it.
The house shows an Italianate influence. This home had the first
indoor bathroom in Canal Winchester. O. P. Chaney was a grain
merchant and pioneered the use of cloth bags for flour.
27 Built c. 1845, this house has fish scale design wood siding. James
McKelvey, a tailor and the village marshal from 1868 – 1870,
purchased it in 1849. The large addition at the rear is c. 1910.
35 This c. 1894 house was built after the original structure burned in
1893. Lena McKelvey, who lived next door, may have had a
dressmaker’s shop here c. 1870. Daisy McKelvey Temple lived
here until the late 1930’s. The rear addition increases the original
size. A Civil War veteran once lived here.
43 Converted from a log dwelling by Samuel Bartlit, this home dates to
the completion of the canal c. 1830 – 1832. The east side of the 1st
floor is the original log cabin. It was expanded c. 1840. It is one of
the oldest homes in the village. This was once the home of Bland
L. Stradley, who was Vice-President of Ohio State University and
was a member of the Canal Winchester School Board for 26 years.
The brick springhouse still sits behind the house.
51 This home was built c. 1901 by William Burnett for George E. Smith.
Mr. Smith was a mailman in the horse and buggy era.
57 This home was constructed in 1846 for Henton Tallman who was in
the agricultural implements and grain business. Judge John
Chaney, a state and federal congressman and a member of the
1851 Ohio State Constitutional Convention, purchased the home c.
1861. Judge Chaney was in the grain business and, with his son O.
P. Chaney, built the Empire Mill. His descendants include the
Chaneys of motion pictures.
65 This c. 1890 example of Queen Anne Eastlake (a Victorian style)
detailing was built with local timber by Clement Moore. Note the
front window and second story porch.
83 Hope United Methodist Church, formerly the Evangelical United
Brethren Church, was built c. 1886. This Gothic Revival building is
the third church building on the site. This congregation organized
the first Sunday School, had the first church bell and the first church
organ in Canal Winchester. The United Brethren built the first
single denomination church building in the village.
91 This is the site of a brick school, the South School, that opened in
1851. At one time only the girls attended school there. Later, it was
the school for the younger students. The school building was sold
in 1862 when the school on Washington Street opened. The
Evangelical United Brethren Church women bought it in 1919 for
an “Aide House.” It was torn down in 1952. The present building is
the Hope United Methodist Church parsonage, dedicated in 1957.
93 This home was built c. 1911 for John and Ella Sarber.
101 This American Four-square style home was built for the Edgar
Chaney family c. 1907 by contractor William Burnett. Mrs. Emma
Chaney designed the front door treatment.
109 This home was built c. 1888 – 1898, probably by Jonathon Vought.
It was a boarding house and party house operated by Thomas and
Helen Bailey in the early 1900’s. It housed the Thrush Restaurant,
famous for its fried chicken dinners, from c. 1941 – 1960.
111 This c. 1790 log house was moved from Fairfield County in 1976.
It is not part of the East Columbus Street Historic District, but was
added to local Historic District “A” on October 16, 1989.
144 Built in 1941 by lawyer Collis Gundy Lane, this Georgian Colonial
home is not part of the East Columbus Street Historic District
because of its age.
128 This c. 1877 three-story brick home was possibly built by George
Powell. It was the home of banker Clement Moore from 1897 –
1929. The 3rd floor was added after 1897. Note the tile roof.
126 The c. 1830 west side of this home was the toll house for the 1865
– 1888 brick toll road. It is one of the oldest frame dwellings in the
village. During the middle 1900’s, it was the home of banker
Warren Moore. The addition at the east dates to the 1940’s.
116 This Tudor Revival home was designed by architect Frank Packard
for Richard Caslow. Built in 1908, it has three finished stories.
106 This Colonial Revival home was built c. 1938 – 1939 and is the third
house built on the lot.
96 This home was built c. 1926 by Horace R. Bailey.
Note: Behind # 106 – 96, a slaughterhouse once existed along the canal bank – it is shown in the 1872 Caldwell Atlas.
90 This Dutch Colonial home was built c. 1927 by George Bareis for
84 This Bungalow style home was built in 1928 by Tom Leach.
78 This c. 1934 home is the second house on this lot. The old house
was moved to the back of the lot and used while the new one was
70 This c. 1900 home was built on Lot #44 of the Reuben Dove
Addition of 1829.
60 Built c. 1913 by contractor William Burnett, this home is an example
of the American Four-square style.
52 This “saltbox” style canal house was built c. 1841.
46 This c. 1840, 15-room home was the Helpman Homestead. John
Helpman owned the lumber company which was first located on this
site and then directly across the canal. Helpman was a Justice of
the Peace and a mayor of Canal Winchester. It was possibly
owned by Dr. Joseph Potter in 1853. Banker Erwin Moore owned
this home from 1884 – 1914.
38 Built c. 1863, this was the home of Dr. Azro Short.
32 This American Four-square home was built c. 1901 – 1908 by
contractor William Burnett. Previously on this lot was the office of
Dr. Joseph Potter c. 1855 and Dr. Azro Short c. 1871. Dr. Short
owned the property in the last half of the 19th century.
28 This American Four-square home was built c. 1901 – 1908 by
contractor William Burnett.
18 This was built as a home c. 1892 when the property was owned by
Ellen Alspaugh. It was divided into apartments c. the 1950’s, and
downstairs offices c. 1964. Note the cut leaded glass front window.
North High Street Historic District
Prior to the railroad era the area north of Waterloo Street was rural in character. There were only one or two homes and a schoolhouse. Most of the buildings in the North High Street Historic District date from 1869 to the 1880’s. The railroad tracks formed the northern boundary of the village until 1882, and then the expansion was only enough to include the businesses on the north side of the tracks.
The buildings in the North High Street Historic District include those that were strictly commercial, strictly residential, and some buildings that were both. That mixture of residential and commercial buildings affects the character of the street. The residents who had many of these homes built or who subsequently lived in them during the late 19th and early 20th centuries were among Canal Winchester’s most successful merchants and business people.
North High Street itself is extraordinary in that it is wider than most village streets dating to the early 19th century. The extra width was to accommodate the railroad spur that ran down the west side of the street for a direct connection to the businesses (especially grain warehouses) situated along the canal. The spur was taken up in the late 19th century when canal traffic ended in this area.
North High Street was named a local historic district – Historic District “E” – by the Canal Winchester Village Council on December 21, 1987. With some adjustments to the boundaries of the local historic district (such as adding the houses on East Mound Street), North High Street was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 15, 1989.
North High Street
74 Built in 1949, this is a National pre-fab home. It is part of the local
North High Street Historical District, but is not part of the national
68-70 This was once a single family home built c. 1885 with much
Victorian bric-a-brac. It shows elements of Italianate and Queen
Anne styles, and the wealth of the original owner, William Game.
60 This Dutch Colonial Revival home was built in 1928 for John Corwin.
It should be noted that modern zoning codes would require a larger
setback from the property line.
52 This Italianate design home was built for Civil War veteran and
merchant Phillip Game by William Boyd c. 1880. The home once
had a picket fence and appears to have been oriented to West
Mound Street at one time.
42 This early 1800’s “Gingerbread Cottage” was built by William Miller.
It was purchased by Lucy Burkholder Arnold c. 1850 and remained
in the Arnold Family until after Marie Arnold died in 1986.
36 Built c. 1870, this building takes up almost the entire lot. It is only
about one foot to the lot line on either side. In the past this building
served as a harness shop. Due to the extent of the alterations made
to the building, it is considered to be a non-contributing part of the
National Register Historic District.
32 This building was built in 1848 as a brick school on land donated by
John Kramer, Sr. Prior to 1855 it was for boys only. After the school
on Columbus Street was built, it was referred to as the North School.
It was sold when the school on Washington Street opened in 1862.
24 Grocer Josiah K. Miller purchased this c. 1870 home in 1874. J. K.
Miller was in the hardware business with his father, W. R., in the
1870’s and 1880’s before he became a grocer in the 1890’s. It was
once home and office for Dr. Oscar Jepsen, who practiced medicine
in Canal Winchester from 1934 – 1974.
16 This c. 1830 house originally had one floor and is one of the earliest
documented houses in Canal Winchester. The 2nd floor was added
in 1934. This was the home of Dr. Louis Saylor from 1919 – 1960.
His veterinary office was in the outbuilding north of the house. This
was once part of the Bergstresser property.
12 Built in 1933, this Tudor Revival is the second house on the lot.
Miss Bertha Heffley had the original brick structure torn down
because she wanted a smaller house. This was part of the
Bergstresser property – Bertha’s mother’s family.
31-33 Built in 1950, this building is part of the local North High Street
Historic District, but is not part of the national historic district.
35 This was the c. 1870 home of land developer, builder, furniture store
owner, and funeral director William P. Miller. He was once referred
to as the “builder of the town.” It shows early Gothic Revival
elements in its style.
39 This Colonial Revival home was built in 1938 for Karl and Dorothy
Bitler. It was once the home of George Schultz, a former
Superintendent of the Canal Winchester Schools.
43-45 This c. 1865 building is an example of a combined residence
and business establishment. It has been a millinery shop, coverlet
weaver Peter Ehrenhart’s home and shop, and a rooming house.
Mrs. Ehrenhart was a milliner.
East Mound Street
9 Built c. 1865 – 1872, this was possibly the servants’ quarters for the
property at 43-45 North High Street. The building has had many
uses over the years. It was a kitchen c. 1895. It was once a barber
shop and once a hat shop.
11 Built in 1957, this property is considered to be a non-contributing
part of the North High Street National Register Historic District.
23 Built c. 1890, this was lot # 31 of Miller’s 2nd Addition.
25 This home was built c. 1900 by Dr. Joseph King, a veterinarian.
The house was used in the filming of the 1987 movie “Mischief.”
28 This home was built c. 1905, by the Bolenbaugh family. The small
addition in the back was the maid’s quarters.
24 This home was built c. 1872 – 1881. The house is a typical example
of the small brick homes that were built on Mound Street in the
1870’s. They were residences of the keepers of small shops and
18 This home was built c. 1925 by Jacob Zellers, a commercial builder.
It is one of the few brick bungalows in town.
North High Street
53-55 This building was built in 1879 as a hotel by Ferdinand Leonard
whose wife was a dressmaker. In 1891 it was acquired by Mrs. C.
W. Bostwick and was run as a boarding house until 1896. Dr. Edwin
L. Carlton purchased it in 1900 for his home and office. Dr. Carlton
was mayor of Canal Winchester in 1905.
63 This was built c. 1880 as a single family home by Orrick (O. J.) and
Hettie Lawyer. He was the local house painter. Restaurant owner
Marion Corwin purchased the home in 1896. It shows Greek
Revival and Italianate elements in style.
67 This was built c. 1871 by Isaac Ebright as the Merchant’s Hotel. It
was purchased by Noah Cherry, the fifth owner, in 1896. In 1907
the Cherry Hotel advertised “20 rooms at $2 per night.” Mr. Cherry
had a livery stable in the rear. An ice cream parlor, short order
restaurant, and poolroom operated in conjunction with the hotel.
Railroad passengers would frequent the dining room. In the early
20th century there was a single story porch across the front.
75 The building was built in 1874 as the Grange Hall for Madison
Grange #194, which was organized in 1873. Meetings were held
upstairs and the 1st floor was rented for commercial use, at one time
as a paint shop. It was used by the Canal Winchester Guards as an
armory for two years, probably in the 1880’s or 1890’s.
79 This home was built c. 1890 (possibly 1880). It was lot #19 in
Miller’s 2nd Addition.
83 Built c. 1890, this home has undergone drastic changes. Ward and
Emma Johnson lived here in 1938. She composed an alphabet that
was designed to make learning to read easier. This was part of lot
#20 in Miller’s 2nd Addition.
89 Built c. 1890, this home is Four-square style. The front porch trim is
Eastlake style. It was part of lot # 20 in Miller’s 2nd Addition.
Landmarks Commission and Historic Districts
of Canal Winchester
The Canal Winchester Landmarks Commission was created by the Canal Winchester Village Council on August 15, 1983. It was the feeling of many in the village that the past was an important part of our present and our future, and as such should be safeguarded.
The ordinance creating the commission declares “that the preservation, protection, perpetuation and use of areas, places, buildings, structures, works of art and other objects having a special historical, community or aesthetic interest or value is public necessity and is required in the interest of the health, prosperity, safety and welfare of the people.”
Within that ordinance, the definition of a landmark includes the phrase: “any improvement which has special character or special historical or aesthetic value as part of the development, heritage or cultural characteristics of the Village of Canal Winchester, State of Ohio, or the United States.” An “improvement” is defined to be any place, building, structure, work of art or similar object constituting a physical betterment of real property. The definition also states that the Landmark may include the parcel on which the Landmark is situated.
Among the stated purposes of the Landmarks Commission is to: Safeguard the heritage of the Village of Canal Winchester by preserving sites and structures which reflect elements of the village’s cultural, social, economic, political or architectural history.
The Landmarks Commission consists of seven members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Village Council. All members shall, to the “highest extent practicable, show interest in historic preservation.”
Subsequently, the Village of Canal Winchester has created five local historic districts within the boundaries of the village. Three of these, with slightly altered boundaries, have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This booklet was compiled in 2003 from materials on file at the Canal Winchester Area Historical Society. The Historical Society gratefully and respectfully acknowledges the efforts of all those persons, past and present, who have contributed to this wealth of information on the history of Canal Winchester. Any inaccuracy in the information presented in this booklet is unintentional and is regretted. Courtesy of
Canal Winchester Area Historical Society
with funding from
Canal Winchester Convention and Visitors Bureau